School Direct is a successful school-based teacher training route where trainees spend a greater proportion of their time in school working alongside highly experienced classroom practitioners whilst receiving high quality training from a university. Our partner university and ITT provider is St. Mary’s University (Twickenham), whose provision is recognised as Outstanding by Ofsted.
Routes into Teaching
Fee-unded School Direct Training Programme
This is a one year postgraduate programme for high quality graduates (2:2 or above) who want to be part of a school team from day one. The course is funded through tuition fees. Training is delivered primarily by St Mary’s University where trainees typically spend 12 weeks throughout the year. The rest of the academic year is spent in a trainee’s host school, where they teach between 5 and 15 hours a week and receive bespoke and high quality support from mentors and other experienced practitioners.
Upon successfully completing the course, trainees gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and awarded a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and up to 60 Masters credits. Trainees may be eligible for a bursary of up to £3,000.
Salaried School Direct
This is an employment-based route for career changers with at least two years work experience and a 2:2 or above. Trainees are employed as an unqualified teacher and earn a salary while they train. Trainees are in school during the entire academic year where they teach up to 20 hours a week, taking into account their level of experience. Most of the training is delivered by the school and support from a mentor. Trainees spend approximately 12 days at St. Mary’s University for additional training. Upon successfully completing the course trainees gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and up to 60 Masters credits.
The Glyn Surrey SCITT has been offering School Direct since 2013. All trainees have gained Qualified Teacher Status, with 100% employment rate, of which many have been employed in their host schools.
- Degree classification of 2:2 or above (tuition-fee route) or 2:1 or above (salaried)
- Five GCSEs grade C or above including English, Mathematics and Science
- For the salaried route, trainees must have at least two years of work experience to be eligible to apply
- Candidates must have completed at least two weeks of recent experience in the primary classroom prior to applying and this should be reflected in the statement of application
- Candidates will be expected to demonstrate their commitment to a future teaching career, strong subject knowledge and the ability to interact with young people in and out of a classroom environment. We are also looking for strong literacy and numeracy skills, high standards of written English, a willingness to contribute to wider school life as well as personal qualities including: confidence, resilience, ability to work in a group and under pressure, self-reflection and time management skills
- In addition, Professional Skills Tests in numeracy and literacy must be successfully completed prior to starting the course. For those who need support in the completion of these, Glyn Surrey SCITT offers revision courses. For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
All offers are subject to DBS clearance.